It's official I leave for Cambodia in 4 days and 2 1/2 hours. I can't believe how fast time has gone by since first coming up with the idea to intern with RACHA this summer. My upcoming departure is still completely surreal and has snuck up on me without having really even put much thought into what I'm actually getting myself into. Since leaving Utah and saying goodbye to friends and family there, it's got me beginning to think things through a little more. I've been drawing on my experience in India last year, since that's the closest I've come to Cambodia, and have been thinking lots about gratitude and how fortunate we are as Americans living in the United States. While in India I gained a greater appreciation for so many little things that we absolutely take for granted every day, such as silverware, toilet paper, cold water, showers with no bugs, and STEAK! I'm sure I will have a similar experience this summer. So tonight I'd like to make an ode to the things I'm going to miss most this summer. I'm sure the list will get longer once I'm actually over there...
*NBA Finals-I'll leave just in time to find out who will make it, but will not get to watch any games
*Rodeos
*Monster truck rallies
*Country concerts
*Ice skating (Don't think I can find many ice rinks there)
*Laptop
*Air conditioning
*Flushing toilets-As much as I love the squatters (I joked after India that I was going to start using a litter box), after a couple of months, I'm sure I'll miss the flushers.
*Mattress- Don't get me wrong, I love sleeping on the ground, but I'll probably start missing my mattress after a couple months.
*Sasha's mission call (Hopefully I'll be there on Skype!!)
*Justin's wedding
*Slurpees and frozen yogurt
*Cowgirl boots, cowboys, and big trucks
*4th of July (my favorite holiday) Save me some fireworks!!!
*Going to Church in English
*The Bachelorette (Lame, I know, but it's a guilty pleasure)
And of course, most importantly, my FAMILY and FRIENDS. Thank you all for the love and support. Please keep me in your prayers! Can't wait to share this exciting adventure with y'all!
Thursday, June 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wooo! Can't wait to hear all about it! Love ya!
ReplyDelete