I received some terrible news today: the city of Phnom Penh, population 2,000,000 does not have a McDonalds. I didn't know such a large city existed without McDonalds! DOn't get me wrong, I'm all about living the Cambodian way while I'm here, but there's something comforting about knowing there's a McDonalds accessible if I need one. And let's be honest, I'm dying for some American food right now and would love a burger and fries right about now! Is it bad that it's only been one week and I'm already obsessively dreaming about the food I wish I could eat. People post pictures on Facebook of food, cakes, and delicious meals, and I start drooling!! Today I found this restaurant that delivers pizzas in the city for free! I was so excited to order pizza for lunch (even though I know it wouldn't be anything like Papa Johns) then a girl in my office asked me to join her and some other people in the office for lunch. I couldn't turn down this offer (they get offended very easily, especially with the language barrier). I love food and thoroughly enjoy eating great food. However, lately I dread mealtimes for fear of what I'm going to be forced to eat this time. So I went and joined the group of people eating lunch. They make a few Britney Spears references (that is the only way anyone remembers my name in other countries)and then give me a bowl of rice. I look around at the food and see nothing that looks appealing. Then people just start piling things on my plate and telling me what it is in Khmer. i start to panic because once it's on my plate I have to eat all of it, like it or not, or I will seriously offend them. I choke down what they've put on my plate and then before I know what's happening they're spooning more onto my plate! Oh boy, the joys!
Enough on food for now. I had a really fun and cultured weekend. Saturday morning the dad I live with asked me if I was free at 1. I thought to myself "well I do have lots of things scheduled, but I guess I can move them around..." He asked me to go with his wife and him to his brother's. I came down to go and he looked at me and said, "You look like Kampuchea!" Translation: you look like a Cambodian. Well, for me trying my darndest to fit in the best I can here, this was a huge compliment! We drove for awhile then ended up at a big, very nice new housing development.(apparently his brother is a very wealthy doctor.) I was introduced to several people, none of whom I can repeat their names (I don't even remember the people I live with's names.) and of course was forced to eat several foods, none of which I have a clue what they are. Everyone kept pointing at me and talking and laughing. Luckily a sister-in-law that teaches English came to my rescue and started translating for me. Apparently they were all gawking over my blue eyes and full set of teeth and saying they wanted me to marry their grandson haha. Then she took me on a walk around the neighborhood. we came back to the house and everyone was kneeling on the floor and there were 2 monks inside. She explained to me that in the Buddhist religion, when you move to a new house monks come and bless the house and then the family throws like a housewarming party. 90% of Cambodia is Buddhist and there are temples everywhere. So I knelt and joined in the ceremony. I kept eyeing 2 bowls of something that I was dreaming was buttery popcorn. The monks did several chants, which were actually quite beautiful, then started splashing everyone with water and throwing my "popcorn"--which was actually flowers. After the ceremony, we had a nice meal seated on the floor on straw mats. It was the only meal I've had so far without white rice. instead it was soup with white rice noodles. Oh, and an entire chicken. Of course people didn't accept what I served myself and scooped some liver and chicken heart in my bowl for me. They handed me a drink in a can. I was so excited! finally something to drink other than smokey boiled sewage water! Then I read what it was: the only thing in English read "Grass Jelly". WHAT??? It really did taste like grass with sugar. I took a drink and felt something solid in my mouth and immediately spit it out, thinking surely one of those flies buzzing around must have landed in my drink. Apparently there was actual pieces of jelly in the can haha. On the way home, they took me to the riverside where all the foreigners apparently love to hang out. I imagined this beautiful river with grass and picturesque restaurants and big hotels. Nope. Just a brown ugly river surrounded by concrete walls. It was fun to walk around with them though. The mom is so protective over me, it was really endearing. whenever we'd cross a street through the crazy traffic, she'd hold my arm to protect me.
Saturday night I had heard about this German hangout that shows local artists films. saturday night they were showing short documentaries about Cambodia created by local film students. And they showed the films on the rooftop! Boy did I want to go! only problem: I hadn't ventured out yet alone and didn't have anyone to go with. But when I went to ask about getting a moto taxt, the oldest daughter who's married told me her husband was busy and she wanted to go out with me. Great! So she drove me there, we walked upstairs, then she told me she didn't want to stay and I would need to find my way home. okay, great!! no problem! haha. Anyway, i got some gelato and really enjoyed the documentaries. Cambodia has a very interesting, very sad history that i don't think a lots of people really know about. if you don't know about the khmer Rouge regime, I suggest you read up about it. 2 million people were killed, most of those the educated people that were a threat to overthrow the new government. I've heard the movie The Killing Fields is a good movie about this, although I haven't seen it yet. I'm reading a book right now called first They killed my Father by Luoung Ung. it's an account told by the perspective of a little girl. Anyway, these documentaries were all about the effects of the Khmer Rouge on Cambodia today. it was fascinating! They talked about how the music and art industry were really impacted because all teachers and artists were killed, so now there's no one to teach art to people, and therefore the creativity and talent in the country has been hindered. I'm sure this is true of several other industries as well. After the documentaries, i paid a random guy on a moped to take me home and prayed that he would really take me home. He did.
Sunday I ventured out again and made it to church, to an international ward in "English". It is comprised of people from all around the world, many of whom English is their second language. i met people from Nigeria, Burma, the Phillippines, Pakistan, Mexico, and the U.S.! Yep, I made a couple of friends with some law students also interning here for the summer. Yay, now I'll hopefully have people to go out with that won't just ditch me! After church I walked to Tuol Sleng genocide museum. during the khmer rouge, they turned this high school into a torture center and prison. There was a very somber aura to this place. Very different feeling from the Nazi concentration camps I've been to. i think about 20,000 people came through this prison, with only 7 survivors. I walked through tiny cells with blood stains and chains still in place. Kind of eerie by myself. Really sad what they did to these people for no reason, adults and children alike. And all this happened in 1975. Apparently, people still come from all over Cambodia using it as a resource to try and find members of their family that are still missing from that time! Can you imagine going through life not knowing what happened to members of your family, not even knowing if they're alive or not!
Last night I was enjoying a quick cold shower to cool off, when I looked up and noticed I was not alone. There was a lizard in the shower with me haha! I kept an eye on him to make sure he wasn't gonna come near me!
Okay, well that's probably enough of my adventures for now! Go eat a burger for me ; )
Monday, June 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I like your descriptions. I think Dr. Sengh might be horrified about what you have done on your own. I'm so sorry about what you are having to eat. Probably best that you don't know what it is. You haven't mentioned whether you are finding any things that you like. Hopefully there are some. How about the soups?
ReplyDeleteA lizard on the wall sounds OK. Just hope you don't get any frogs jumping out of toilets in the dark liked happened to Bonnie Davila.
I just googled KFC Cambodia and found there is one in Phnom Penh! Guess what we had for dinner! Dad... love you!
ReplyDeleteyeah but remember how good KFC was in Beijing....HORRIBLE!! And in India, the chicken tasted like curry! i'm kind of afraid of it...
Delete