Monday, January 25, 2010
Birthday Celebrations
This past week I celebrated my 23 birthday. I love birthdays. I love giving gifts, making and decorating cakes, going out to eat, & making the birthday person feel super special for a few days. On my birthday this year, however, I felt somewhat sheepish going around and announcing my special day to the world: Hey everyone! On this day I came into the world. I am God's gift to you today so everyone make a big deal & tell me how glad you are that I was born & give me cards and gifts. Kind of a strange idea, right? Don't get me wrong, I am so so grateful for my life & all that I have & that on January 21 I came into the world. But this year I would like to celebrate a few other people that made my birthday possible. I would like to celebrate my dear mom and dad. Thank you so much for making it possible for me to come into this world & live the life I've been given. Thank you so much for your selflessness to put aside your own best interests to raise me. Thank you for all the sacrifices you have made on my behalf so that I could grow up and have wonderful opportunities. Thank you for all the money you have spent on me, the time you have put into raising me and teaching me and talking with me and comforting me. Dad, thank you so much for all the hard work and time you put into your job so that you could provide for our family and show us the world. Thank you for your wonderful example of service and always looking for ways to bless others' lives. Mom, thank you so much for your example of patience and unconditional love. You have been so selfless, always sacrificing to meet my needs. Thank you for my life. I would also like to celebrate God. He made it possible for me to come to earth and to get a body. He also blessed me with many talents and a strong desire to do what is right. He also loves me so much that He sacrificed His son for my sake and made it possible for me to return home someday. So thank you to the most important people in my life. May this expression of my gratitude be my birthday gift to you this year as I turn 23.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Have you considered being an author? You do have a way with words. I remember when Mrs. Bryan first taught you the concept of adding descriptive words to your writing in the "web" (not technology web) process. So many other parents have voiced the joy it is when their child is in college and gains a perspective of what family has done for them. Thank you. I'll consider this a tribute. It will be here to warm my heart whenever I need it. We are blessed to have you as our daughter. Hope this year will end up bringing you some joy as you venture out into the unknown. It is a scary thing to face the unknown. We are usually much more comfortable with the familiar. But moving outside our comfort zone can bring exciting new experiences and growth. It will be an adventure to find out what the future has in store for you. Love you so much. Mom
ReplyDelete