Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hatred of goodbyes

So I've decided to give in & create a blog.  I've been going through some life-changing experiences lately with lots of introversion & self-contemplation, and thought a blog would be a good place to write my thoughts that I'd like to share, but never actually do..ha
Today I came to the conclusion that I hate goodbyes.  I have been struggling with the ending of a very long relationship which in itself is never fun.  I find this especially hard for me because suddenly I am forced to cut all ties with the one person that has played such a significant role in my life & try to move on as though he was never around, but continue my life where he left it.  Today I took my little sister to the airport & fought tears as I watched her walk away and got back in my car to drive home ALONE.  Also today I finally finished this great book I've been reading over the past few weeks.  It takes me forever to finish a book--I love to read, but hate to finish books.  I usually get so involved in the plot and the charaters' lives that it is difficult to stop reading, but then as the storyline begins to unwind and I realize there are only a few chapters left, I put the book down and sometimes even begin a new book.  As I read, I develop such an intimate relationship with the characters and their lives that I hate to say goodbye to the characters I've come to cherish and be left wondering what they end up making with the rest of their lives.  I never really contemplated why I do that until today as I sadly read the last paragraph, wishing there were still more chapters to come.  I hate the unknown and endings.  I hate goodbyes.  

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. Sounds like you have some of what I do. Is it empathy? I remember taking a personality test my first year of college. It was to tell you what vocations you might be good at. It said that I had empathy. I didn't even know what it meant so asked my institute teacher. He explained that it means the ability to feel for other people. I was surprised and said I didn't know if that really described me. He told me it definitely did. I guess he saw things I didn't know about. I feel silly when I get wrapped up in the characters of a movie or book, etc. Especially when the rest of the family makes fun of me. But I can't stop the feelings from coming.

    ReplyDelete